Yields 4 Sandwiches
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 4 pieces of foccacia bread (5" square or round)
Can substitute French roll or Kaiser roll
- 1 large red pepper, sliced in rings (12 slices)
- 1 large yellow pepper, sliced in rings (12 slices)
- 1/2 lb. eggplant, sliced into 12 slices
- 2-3 yellow squash, sliced into 8 slices
- 1-2 zucchini, sliced into 8 slices
- 2 green onions
- 4 oz. California Mozzarella cheese, sliced into 8 slices
- 4 oz. California Cheddar cheese, sliced into 8 slices
- 2 cups mixed salad greens
- In a bowl whisk together the vinegar, oil and orange juice. Add thyme leaves to dressing.
- Brush vegetables with dressing & place on grill rack 4-6" from coals. Turn with tongs and baste, grilling until softened and slightly browned.
- Slice each foccacia horizontally to create a top and bottom for each sandwich and place on grill briefly until warm & toasted.
- To assemble each sandwich: 3 slices each of red and yellow peppers, 3 slices eggplant, 2 slices each zucchini and yellow squash, 1/2 green onion (cut into 1" pieces). Use 2 slices each of Mozzarella and Cheddar cheese. Use approximately 1/2 cup of greens for each sandwich. Slice each sandwich diagonally, creating 2 triangles.